GraphicsOther graphicsEditing help and how to get this lens flare

08 May 2012, 02:27

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone of you can help me understand how do these photographers get this kind of circular lens flare in their photos, what might be the settings, lenses, and perspective. They get it pretty consistently but dont seem to share their technique.

Also, i love their editing style, any idea what they might be using, actions, presets??

Please login or register to download
or
Direct Download at 100Mbit

Rating 0 Comments 30
lysaisme
lysaisme 08 May 2012, 13:07 #
for sure some wide lenses , luminous, som' like 35, f/1,8...something, as usual, simplicity is the thing....but the actions...could be anithing starting with vintage..:)pinkish type, some filter maybe, lot of dawn light and/ or post processing
fou
fou 08 May 2012, 22:56 #
thanks Lysaisme, I havent seen any sun glare pictures like these even from 35mm. Any idea into the technique or specifics. What did you mean by 'luminous'
abickel
abickel 09 May 2012, 01:58 #
it looked like something they may have added in post processing. Wish Photography has a sun glare overlay.
x7anoonah
x7anoonah 09 May 2012, 10:31 #
I know the florabella new set has glare actions that look natural.
fou
fou 09 May 2012, 17:19 #
I have tried florabella but it doesnt look their ethereal circular lens flare. The wish photography overlays look too pronounced aka fake.
fou
fou 09 May 2012, 17:26 #
here's another example from them: link
lysaisme
lysaisme 09 May 2012, 22:46 #
This is def. NOT OUT OF THE LENSES. iT'S EITHER OVERLAY, EITHER ACTINS, Most probably both!
abickel
abickel 10 May 2012, 05:30 #
here ya go link go to the third image
dvault
dvault 12 May 2012, 06:04 #
There are several ways to get the lens flare effect:
There's an action that might work: Nichole Van Flares and sunburst actions

Or ==============
There are quite a few filters/plugins that have a lens flares option. Filters Unlimited 2 has various options, one being lens Flares effects, with 10 effects/options. It also has Photo tools and photo aging effects. Actually Filters Unlimited has a ton of effects. Just install Filters Unlimited to your graphics app

OR ============
If using PS, go to Filter, then Render, then lens flare -- here's a tut that will help you

or
Use full direct 100Mbit downloader

if you need another tut, here you go

or
Use full direct 100Mbit downloader

OR ============
If using, PSP you would select effects, the click illumination, then sunburst and play around to get the effect you want. Also, could go under illumination, then lights and play around with to get the lens flare effect.

Good Luck!
fou
fou 12 May 2012, 20:05 #
Thank you everyone. And Devault for a detailed response. I wonder if there is any way to get it in camera. I am familiar with how to get in post but wonder if its possible in camera since the photographers that I mentioned above claim to get it in camera.
LadyoftheFlwrs
LadyoftheFlwrs 13 May 2012, 03:06 #
If you compare the other pictures from that phototog on their FB page, you can see the flares are exactly the same shape in some shots, so I doubt they get that in camera. A natural flare wouldn't be the same all the time, so it looks more like an overlay to me.

Thank you for the detailed response dvault! I'm still learning photoshop, so those kinds of details are very useful for me :)
dvault
dvault 13 May 2012, 03:17 #
you're both welcome. Good Luck! =D
abickel
abickel 13 May 2012, 04:42 #
to get that in camera is basically a shoot in the dark. To capture sun flare peeking behind the trees is 25 shots for that lucky one! Lens flare can happen just by tilting your camera just right and catching that lucky shot. Play and have fun!
samy23
samy23 13 May 2012, 21:30 #
I totally agree with LadyoftheFlwrs, the flares from Simply Bloom are exactly the same!! And they also look quite identical to this one

or
Use alternative download link

that abickel showed us!!!
dolabo
dolabo 14 May 2012, 15:34 #
that is done with lightring. by Wish photography
fou
fou 15 May 2012, 18:13 #
Hmm... but that would only help to light the subject not get the flare...
StealthWeather
StealthWeather 19 May 2012, 09:53 #
This shot is highly edited and includes some bokeh (top center & top right) and the use of Wish Workshops rainbow overlays to create the circle effect, some haze with a haze action (I suggest nicole van flares and sunbursts), and perhaps a standard sunflare (just the initial light blast) in the top left or that could have been natural and the resulting flare "dots" removed. The rainbows are not as they are in the pack you buy but have been changed to a golden colour with little bits of rainbow colour still visible.

The rainbow overlays do not come circular but you have each part of the circle and just create a circle as this person did. You can see from the preview on Wish Workshops site that its identical. She also added an additional rainbow corner on the top left.

I have created a share for you all with the rainbow overlays that were used. Please see the release in the release section :)
photomomma
photomomma 24 May 2012, 04:42 #
Lots of negative press for these photogs lately...they treated 27 recent workshop attendees like garbage and claimed their flare is from "one special lens"...wouldn't discuss it further. Thank you for the overlays...I knew they were lying. Sad.
crash138
crash138 24 May 2012, 07:11 #
I've been messing w/ the flares/haze/rainbows and cannot emulate what I'm seeing in their work. I can easily create what I see in wish photography's stuff its just SO fake... that is a simple filtered spectrum gradient (russel's rainbow) I am wondering if they have an old lens w/ some scratch or something that is creating those specific rainbow-flares that look so similar. It is so easy to get rainbow flares SOOC when doing backlit straight into the sun shots I could see an imperfection in the lens amplifying it. Anyone else???
crash138
crash138 24 May 2012, 07:16 #
if you have illustrator there is a flare tool in there that is pretty cool... if you load an image into illustrator and create the flare ontop of it there you could totally do the 2nd example you shared. Its the first one that I think is SOOC... I could totally be wrong though!!!!!
fou
fou 25 May 2012, 07:58 #
oh well. I did read some of the posts from the workshop attendees and they said that got the flare in camera. Even if their experience was bad, they verified that it was achieved in the camera, but they would just not share the specifics. Thought I would ask here and see if someone knew. I agree Wish photography though good but the flares do look fake. Thanks everyone for pitching in your thoughts and helping out.
Amy_Thyste
Amy_Thyste 02 Sep 2012, 23:02 #
I'm a photographer and it is possible to get flare in camera. It's all about aperture and I've noticed the lens coatings can result in some having more 'flare' than others. I've captured flares at different times of day. The issue is 'filling' the darkness with off-camera lighting to balance the image. Personally, I'm badly wanting Nicole Van Sunflare Actions for PS, but no one seems to have them. The LR presets just aren't as realistic. This product is exactly like what I do, but with less work and the ability to focus on my light without relying on external light. This is exactly what you guys need in regards to this thread's questions. Here is the product page:

or
Use full direct downloader

monmg
monmg 11 May 2013, 04:03 #
This is one of the most fake things i had ever seen. Even the power rangers seem more realistic than the "lens flare" they claim to get from the natural light.
I mean, LOOK A THIS

or
Use alternative download link

for god sake, no even a blind believes this is real.
It's a overlay. A REALLY BAD, FAKE,IRREAL and UNNATURAL one.
kalab
kalab 11 May 2013, 16:29 #
i agree i hate fake sunflares...
poomcgooo
poomcgooo 11 May 2013, 22:00 #
Shooting into the direct sunlight can create some lens flare. I recently shot a wedding and while the bridal party looked a little strange, the sun flares in a couple of the photos were pretty awesome.
As for this photo, I am convinced this type of flare was done in post. You can find all sorts of brushes on Deviantart and create your own lens flare overlays to add to your photos in order to replicate this look.
YELAIAH
YELAIAH 28 May 2013, 03:06 #
Check Jessica Drossin's Force Of Nature Light Effects
tomader
tomader 28 May 2013, 21:13 #
monmg: I looked at that photo and busted out laughing because the sun flares were in two different directions. I sure hope those werent claimed as natural. lol
monmg
monmg 31 May 2013, 21:52 #
tomader said:monmg: I looked at that photo and busted out laughing because the sun flares were in two different directions. I sure hope those werent claimed as natural. lol
Oh boy they did, jajajaja i didn't realize why the flare look so fake to me until you pointed out it was in 2 different directions
tomader
tomader 02 Jun 2013, 16:29 #
Yeah I checked out their page...looked at the images, most of the flares were the exact same flares. I then went and looked and Florabella also had the same one. The rainbow with the solid light ring on the outside. Yep..Wish for sure (or florabella) but its also a bit annoying that they really think any experienced photoshop expert would be fooled so easily.
monmg
monmg 03 Jun 2013, 00:28 #
tomader said:Yeah I checked out their page...looked at the images, most of the flares were the exact same flares. I then went and looked and Florabella also had the same one. The rainbow with the solid light ring on the outside. Yep..Wish for sure (or florabella) but its also a bit annoying that they really think any experienced photoshop expert would be fooled so easily.

You read my mind, that was the exact same thing that i was thinking, is like saying "yeaph, my hair really grows blue,i swear is no trick in there" to a genetist.
REALLY? come on....

You have to login or register to post comments.

fou
fou
27 ♠ 31 ♣
Tweet:

Bookmark and Share